The versatility of one great yellow cake recipe is priceless. How to create Chef Sokol’s favorite tender and moist yellow cake is discussed in detail. This recipe uses her favorite mixing method, the creaming method, to produce high quality results. Chef Sokol shares her own hilarious experience with a cake malfunction, and what she learned about the creaming method in particular.
Yellow Cake Layers
Makes 2 9-inch layers
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease, parchment, and flour two nine-inch round baking pans.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, add the eggs, one at a time followed by the vanilla.
- Add one third of the dry ingredients followed by one half of the milk and blend well.
- Add another third of the dry ingredients followed by the remaining milk.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and blend until just combined.
- Evenly divide the batter into the two cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.