Easiest Apple Cake Ever
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 apple unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 13 1/2” x 4 1/2” x 1” rectangular false-bottom tart pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter until mixture looks like oatmeal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla, and add to dry ingredients and butter mixture.
- Using an offset spatula, evenly spread the batter over the prepared pan.
- Shingle apple slices over batter, saving any remaining apple for another use.
- Using a pastry brush, coat apples with melted butter. In a small bowl, combine sugar and apple pie spice, and sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Place the false-bottom tart pan onto a larger sheet pan, and bake for 30 minutes, or until nice and brown.
Makes one 13 1/2” x 4 1/2” x 1” cake