Easy Cherry Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 1 ¼ cups fresh pitted cherries
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the pan with a parchment circle. Spray again and flour the pan, removing the excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light.
- Add egg and extracts, and beat until well combined.
- On low speed, add ½ the flour mixture, followed by the buttermilk, and ending with the remaining flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Scatter cherries (and gently push in) cherries evenly over batter. Sprinkle top of cake with granulated sugar.
- Bake for approximately 23-30 minutes, or until a small sharp knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan until barely warm. Release sides of springform pan, and gently flip cake out of pan onto a large plate. Remove parchment circle, and place a serving platter on top, flipping the cake so the correct side is up.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar if desired. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes 1 9-inch round cake