Guinness Spiked Chocolate Cake
- ¾ cup Guinness Stout
- ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1 recipe stabilized whipped cream, tinted green, if desired
- 1 recipe ganache, if desired, cooled to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray, line with a parchment paper circle. Spray again and flour, dumping the excess flour out. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the Stout and butter to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, combine the eggs and yogurt on medium speed.
- On low speed, add the Stout and chocolate mixture. Blend well.
- On low speed, add the dry ingredients until well mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 45 to 50 minutes or until a small knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan until barely warm. Remove the cake from the pan and divide in half horizontally making two layers.
- Fill with green tinted stabilized whipped cream if desired, and top the cake with ganache.
Makes 1 9-inch round cake