Island Carrot Cake
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup roasted macadamia nuts
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- Zest from 1 lime
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 ½ cups grated peeled carrots
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- Ingredients for Frosting
- 3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar sifted if lumpy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray 3 8-inch diameter cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottom of each pan with a parchment cake circle, spray again, flour and knock out the excess. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse whole wheat flour, coconut, and macadamia nuts until nuts are finely chopped but not ground. Place in a medium bowl.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger into coconut mixture. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, on medium speed mix sugar, oil, and lime zest until blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Add both extracts.
- On low speed, add dry ingredients and mix until just blended, followed by the carrot and pineapple.
- Evenly divide batter between the 3 cake pans (approximately 1 ½ cups batter per pan), and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a small, sharp knife inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool until barely warm and remove cakes from pans.
- To Make The Frosting
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, blend the cream cheese and butter on medium to medium high speed until well blended and fluffy.
- Add extracts and blend well. Using a rubber spatula scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- On low speed, add sugar and blend until frosting is light and fluffy. Frosting can be refrigerated if too soft to spread.
- Place cake on a serving plate. Fill and frost. Chill cake in the refrigerator for about an hour to firm up the frosting. Decorate top and side of cake if desired, with some frosting placed in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Store cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Makes approximately 1 8-inch diameter, 3 layer cake