Low Fat Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups hot brewed coffee
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1 stick light butter, softened
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 2 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray, cover the bottom of each pan with a parchment cake circle, and spray again. Sprinkle each pan with one teaspoon flour, rotate to coat all surfaces, and knock out the excess. Set aside.
- Whisk cocoa and coffee and allow to cool.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the light butter and sugar on medium-high speed until well blended. Add the applesauce and blend well.
- Add the eggs and egg substitute followed by the vanilla. Blend well.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two pans. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a small knife or cake tester inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
Makes 2 9-inch round cake layers