Discover why cheesecake is really not a cake. Typical bottom crusts for cheesecakes are discussed along with other options. Find out how a traditional cheesecake filling can be embellished with different flavors. Chef Sokol teaches you how to attain the creamiest cheesecake. A simple vanilla cheesecake recipe is shared.
Makes a 1 9-inch cheesecake
Graham Cracker Crust
1 ¾ cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350oF.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the crumbs, sugar, and butter. The mixture should look like wet sand.
- Press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides of a greased 9-inch diameter springform pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes and set aside to cool.
2 1/2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Grated zest from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Lower the oven temperature to 250°F. In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese until it is creamy and smooth. Beat in the sugar, flour, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs and yolk, one at a time, followed by the heavy cream. Stop the machine several times and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula to prevent any lumps.
- Pour the filling onto the crumb crust and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Chill in the refrigerator overnight.