Almond Raspberry Hamantaschen
- Cookie Dough
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, plus 1-2 teaspoons more if dough is too dry
- 1 large egg, beaten with a fork, to be used as an egg wash
- 1 8- ounce package almond paste
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- Approximately 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until well blended.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. On low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter and blend well. Add the yolk and cream until a moist dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a 1 inch thick disk. Refrigerate for approximately 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. In a food processor, pulse the almond paste and sugar until finely ground. Add the egg whites and mix until well combined into a thick paste.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to approximately 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out circles, re-rolling scraps as necessary.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly egg wash each circle. Place approximately 2-3 teaspoons of almond filling in the center of each circle. Place ½ teaspoon of jam on top of the almond filling but slightly off center. Fold each third of the circle inward to form a triangle, gently pressing to adhere. You should be able to see the filling in the center. Place the formed cookies onto the sheet pans, spacing approximately 1-2 inches apart.
- Lightly egg wash the dough around the cookies’ edges. Bake for 14 minutes or until light brown. Cookies will firm up as they cool.
Makes approximately 22 Hamantaschen