Caramel Coconut Hamantaschen
- Cookie Dough
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, plus 1-2 teaspoons more if dough is too dry
- 1 large egg, beaten with a fork, to be used as an egg wash
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¼ cup water
- ½ plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 ½ cups shredded sweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until well blended.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. On low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter and blend well. Add the yolk and cream until a moist dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a 1 inch thick disk. Refrigerate for approximately 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling. In a medium saucepan, stir the sugar, corn syrup, and water, until well blended. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove the spoon and wash down any sugar crystals that have formed on the sides of the pan using a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Boil the mixture until it turns the color of medium brewed tea. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Mixture will spatter. Return the pan to medium to low heat and whisk until any clumps of caramel that may have formed dissolve.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in coconut extract and coconut. Pour mixture into a bowl and allow the mixture to cool and thicken. This will take a few hours. If the filling is not cool, it will melt the butter in the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to approximately 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out circles, re-rolling scraps as necessary.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly egg wash each circle. Place approximately 1 heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of each circle. Fold each third of the circle inward to form a triangle, gently pressing to adhere. You should be able to see the filling in the center. Place the formed cookies onto the sheet pans, spacing approximately 1-2 inches apart.
- Lightly egg wash the dough around the cookies’ edges. Bake for 14 minutes or until light brown. Cookies will firm up as they cool.
Makes approximately 22 Hamantaschen