Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1 stick or ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 tablespoons or ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and cocoa in a medium bowl and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, on medium speed, combine the butter, shortening, and the sugar and cream the mixture until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition, and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. On low speed, add the vanilla and dry ingredients. Mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces, and wrap each one in plastic wrap. Flatten each one into a 1- inch thick disk. Refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut each disk in half, and on a lightly floured work surface, roll one disk out at a time to a ¼ inch thickness. Brush any excess flour off the dough.
- Cut into shapes using a cookie cutter. Place cookies onto the prepared baking sheets. Repeat rolling out remaining disks and cutting out cookies.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Cool completely.
Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies (depending upon their size)