Makes 2 ½ dozen macaroons
4 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup +1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 heaping teaspoon light corn syrup
½ teaspoon coconut extract
2 tablespoons +1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
4 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line 2 large sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Bring a large saucepan filled with 3 inches of water to a simmer.
- In a heatproof bowl large enough to sit on top of the saucepan, place the coconut, sugar, corn syrup, almond extract, flour and egg whites.
- Using a metal or wooden spoon stir together over the hot water until a thermometer inserted into the mixture reaches 120° F.
- Using a 1 tablespoon ice cream scooper, scoop the batter onto the sheet pans leaving a 1 inch space between each.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes rotating the sheet pans halfway through baking. The macaroons should be nice and brown.
- Cool completely.