Ginger Date Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup date syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- ½ cup crystallized ginger finely chopped
- ½ cup granulated sugar for rolling
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, combine the first 8 ingredients on low speed.
- Add the date syrup, softened butter, and egg. Beat on medium speed to blend.
- Add the hot water and crystallized ginger and blend well.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for approximately 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a 1 tablespoon ice cream scoop, form balls of dough. Roll the balls of dough in the granulated sugar and place 2 inches apart of parchment-covered baking sheets.
- Bake cookies for approximately 12 minutes, or until puffed and cracked on top. Centers will still feel soft, but will firm up as they cool.
Makes approximately 28 cookies