Meringue Mushrooms Recipe
Makes about two dozen large mushrooms
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 225° F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the whites on medium speed just until foamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add the cream of tartar and increase the speed to medium-high until the whites have a soft shape.
- Slowly add the 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat for about 30 seconds between each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and increase speed to the highest. Beat for 7-8 minutes or until meringue becomes quite stiff and sugar has dissolved.
- Please a large plain pastry chip into a large pastry bag.
- Pipe about 25 large mushroom caps onto a parchment paper lined sheet pans.
- Onto a second parchment lined sheet pan, pipe 25 large stems pulling back on the pastry bag to create a peak.
- Using a sieve, dust mushroom stems and caps with cocoa.
- Bake for 2 hours. Mushrooms should not have any color to them.
- Turn oven heat off and prop oven open and leave mushrooms in oven for another hour.
- Cool completely.
- Using a small, sharp knife, make a hole in the underside of each. Cover the underside with melted chocolate. Stick cap gently into stem and allow to dry on a sheet pan.