Mother’s Day Spring Cookie Flowers
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 12 wooden or popsicle sticks
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Food coloring
- 12 marshmallows
- Small round candies such as nonpareils, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, and water. Stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Stir in the flour and form the dough into a ball.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Flatten out one piece of dough on a work surface until it is large enough to wrap around the stick. Wrap the dough completely around the stick.
- Place the cookies with sticks onto the foil-lined cookie sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly.
- Bake cookies for 18-20 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Color some frosting with food coloring and, using a spatula, frost the top of each cookie.
- With kitchen scissors, cut each marshmallow into 5 slices. These will be the petals on the flowers.
- Place each marshmallow slice around each cookie on top of the frosting to look like petals.
- Place a small round candy into the center of each cookie flower or a dab of colored frosting.
- Place cookies into a flower pot or cup, if desired.
Makes 12 cookie flowers