Lavender Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 ½ tablespoons dried lavender flowers
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Violet gel food coloring, if desired
- In a medium saucepan, heat cream, milk, and lavender flowers until mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat and cover. Allow to steep for 20 minutes.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl, whisk together sugar, egg yolks, and flour. Mixture will be very thick. Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of milk mixture to thin yolk mixture out. Whisk until yolks turn pale yellow, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the yolks to temper them. Pour the custard back into the same saucepan.
- Whisk constantly over medium heat until custard thickens slightly – about 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain into a bowl set over an ice water bath.
- Add food coloring if desired and whisk well.
- Allow mixture to cool completely. Remove from ice water bath and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill in the refrigerator several hours or overnight, until mixture is very cold. Process custard in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Pack ice cream in an air-tight container and store in the freezer.
Makes 1 quart