Stabilized Blood Orange Curd Made With Whole Eggs
- ¾ teaspoon unflavored gelatin dissolved in 2 teaspoons cold water
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup blood orange juice, reduced to ¼ cup
- Set up an ice water bath with a sieve in a bowl, set over a larger bowl full of ice and water.
- In a small saucepan, whisk all the ingredients continuously on medium high heat until mixture thickens and almost comes to a boil. This should take approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the gelatin until it melts.
- Pour the mixture into the sieve and, using a rubber spatula, lightly push down so that the curd separates from any solids.
- When the mixture cools, remove from the ice water bath, and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the curd. Refrigerate for approximately 2 hours or until cold and thickened.
Makes approximately ¾ cup