Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 1 cup whole milk removing 2 tablespoons and set aside
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons + 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy, medium non-aluminum saucepan bring the milk (minus the 2 tablespoons) and cream to the boil.
- In a heatproof stainless steel or tempered glass mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and 2 tablespoons of reserved milk until there are no lumps.
- Slowly drizzle the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until all the milk has been added. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and place it over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, whisking all the time. The mixture will become thick. Boil and whisk for 1 minute. Do not allow the custard to burn.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour the custard into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Place it in the refrigerator until cold, about 3-4 hours. The custard filling can be made 1 day in advance and should be kept chilled in the refrigerator.
Makes 2 ½ cups