Chocolate and Almond Semifreddo
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup high quality semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream, cold
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat milk just to a simmer.
- In a medium heat proof mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, granulated sugar, and cornstarch until well blended.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture to temper the eggs and get them acclimated to the heat so they won’t curdle.
- Pour the mixture back into the same saucepan. Now place the saucepan back onto the heat and whisk constantly over medium heat until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in chocolate until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir in 1 cup slivered almonds and the almond extract.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and chill until very cold.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the whip attachment, beat heavy cream and confectioner’s sugar until firm peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the cream into the cold custard until well blended.
- Spray a 9-by-5-by-3 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and line the pan with 2 pieces of plastic wrap so that the wrap hangs over the edges of the pan on all four sides.
- Pour the chocolate custard into the pan and fold the plastic wrap over it to cover. Cover the top with aluminum foil and freeze until very firm, several hours or overnight.
- Remove foil and allow the semifreddo stay at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Gently pull on the plastic wrap and pull the semifreddo out and gently invert onto a serving platter.
- Cut cross-wise into slices and serve.
Serves 8-10 people