- ¾ cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- ¾ cup granulated sugar divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 drops green food coloring if desired
- ½ cup salted shelled pistachios
- In a food processor, finely grind the ¾ cup of unsalted pistachios and ¼ cup of the sugar. Place mixture in a heavy, medium saucepan, along with the milk. Place mixture over medium-high heat until it comes to a simmer.
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk the yolks and remaining ½ cup sugar until the mixture turns a pale yellow, 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into the yolk mixture. Return the mixture to the same saucepan.
- Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon over medium heat until it thickens and a thermometer reads 180 degrees Fahrenheit. If you do not have a thermometer, the custard should leave a path on the back of the spoon when a finger is drawn across it. This should take approximately 3-5 minutes. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Set up an ice water bath by placing a sieve into a medium heatproof bowl that has been placed into a larger bowl of icy water.
- Pour the hot custard through the sieve to strain out the pistachio pieces. With a spoon, press down on the solids to extract all the liquid. Save the pistachio mixture for another use.
- Whisk the almond extract and food coloring (if using) into the cooked custard.
- Cover the mixture and chill in the refrigerator until very cold – overnight is best.
- Process custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers’ instructions. After processing, blend in the salted pistachios. Pack the gelato into an airtight container and store in the freezer.
Makes approximately 4 cups