Vietnamese Coffee Chocolate Swirl Semifreddo
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream cold
- ½ cup chocolate sauce or ganache thin enough to drizzle but not warm
- Line a 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pan with 2 pieces of plastic wrap, allowing the edges of the plastic wrap to hang over the edges of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the espresso, cinnamon, vanilla, and hot water until blended. Add the sweetened condense milk and whisk well.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream using the whip attachment until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, place a dollop of whipped cream on top of the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Whisk the cream in.
- Add the remaining cream on top of the lightened mixture and using a rubber spatula, fold quickly until well combined.
- Place a quarter of the mixture into the loaf pan, and evenly distribute. Drizzle a few spoonfuls of ganache or chocolate sauce randomly on top of the layer.
- Repeat layering the remaining cream and ganache.
- Using a butter knife, going down the length of the pan, make an “s” shape pattern through the mixture to create a swirl.
- Wrap the overhanging plastic wrap over the top of the semifreddo, making sure it is well covered, and pressing down gently. Freeze overnight.
- Leave the semifreddo in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes to soften. Unmold onto a serving plate and serve in slices.
Makes one 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pan, serving approximately 6-8 people