Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- Zest from 1 large lemon, approximately 2 teaspoons (saving the juice for the icing)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 ¼ cups confectioner’s sugar
- Approximately 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more if needed
- Poppy seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray 12 standard muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds until well blended. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, on medium speed, cream the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light in color.
- On low speed, add the eggs one at a time until well blended. Add in extracts.
- On low speed, add half the dry ingredients, and blend until well combined. Add milk and blend well, followed by the remainder of the dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Using an ice cream scoop, evenly distribute batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until a small knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in the pan until just warm. Remove from pan and place on a plate.
- To make the icing, whisk together confectioner’s sugar and just enough lemon juice to create a spreadable icing.
- Using an offset spatula, spread icing over the top of each muffin and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Allow the icing to set before serving.
Makes approximately 12 muffins