Cherry Frangipane Tart
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ½ tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 recipe frangipane (approximately 1 ½ cups)
- 3 ¾ cups frozen pitted, dark sweet cherries, thawed and drained
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, process flour, sugar, almonds, and salt until almonds are finely ground. Add butter cubes, and pulse until clumps form. Mixture will be very crumbly.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and gently gather together. Pour mixture into a greased 10 inch false bottom tart pan. Press dough across bottom and up sides of pan with fingers. Place pan on a foil-lined sheet pan.
- Place a piece of parchment over the dough and up the sides of the pan. Fill with pie weights or dried beans and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until baked through and brown.
- Remove the tart from the oven but maintain oven temperature. Using the parchment paper, gently remove the weights or beans. Cool tart in pan.
- Using an offset spatula evenly spread approximately ¾ cup of frangipane into the tart. Gently scatter cherries evenly on top.
- Spoon remaining frangipane over cherries. Filling will not completely cover cherries.
- Bake tart on a sheet pan for approximately 55 minutes or until nice and brown. Cool in pan.
- Gently remove tart from pan and dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
Makes 1 round 10-inch-diameter tart