Giant Figgy Ham and Cheese Pie
- 1 recipe Chef Gail Sokol’s Flaky Pie Crust for a 2 crust pie
- 1 ½ cups Chef Gail Sokol’s Onion Fig Jam
- 1 ½ pounds smoked ham, thinly sliced
- 2 ½ cups smoked Gouda, shredded
- 1 large egg, beaten with a fork to be used as an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out ½ of the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a 13 inch circle approximately 1/8th inch thick. Using a 12-inch diameter cake pan or plate as a guide, cut out a 12 inch circle. Fold dough into quarters and unfold onto a 14 inch round pizza pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the outer edges of the dough with egg wash.
- Using a spoon, evenly spread the onion fig jam all over the bottom crust, leaving a 1 inch border.
- Arrange ham evenly all over fig jam.
- Scatter smoked Gouda over ham.
- Roll out remaining half of dough as in step 2, forming another 12 inch circle. Using a small sharp knife or a small round pastry tip, cut a few holes or slits into the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place circle of dough on top of the cheese, and gently press down on the edges so that the top and the bottom crusts are sealed. Crimp edges decoratively, and egg wash the entire pie.
- Bake pie for 20-25 minutes, or until pie is brown and cheese bubbles through the holes or slits. The pie may need an additional 10 minutes to get brown, depending on your oven.
- Allow pie to cool before serving.
Makes 1 12-inch diameter pie