- Flaky Pie Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cold cream cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 cup 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- About 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- Pumpkin Filling
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 15 ounce can 100% pure pumpkin
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- In a food processor, pulse flour, salt and cream cheese until small pea-sized pieces form.
- Add butter and pulse until the butter breaks down into pea-sized pieces. Do not overmix.
- Add orange juice and 2 tablespoons ice water and pulse until the mixture almost gathers into a ball. If mixture is too dry, add remaining tablespoon of ice water.
- Pour out into a bowl. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and flatten into a 1-inch disk. Chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375o F.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface between 1/8 and ¼ inch thick diameter. Using a 6 inch diameter bowl, cut out as many circles as you can (10-12). Place 3 ½ inch diameter, 1-inch high ring molds onto an aluminum foil covered sheet pan. Spray the inside of each mold with non-stick cooking spray and rub around the inside of the mold. Place a circle of dough into each ring mold, fluting the sides of the dough so it looks the petals of a flower. If you do not have enough ring molds, you may have to make these in batches.
- In a large bowl, whisk all filling ingredients until well blended.
- Pour enough filing into each tart shell until it fills the tart 3/4ths of the way. Bake tarts for 35-40 minutes or until centers are only slightly jiggly. Filling will firm up as it cools.
- Cool thoroughly and serve chilled.
Makes 10-12 tarts