Rustic Plum Tart
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon ice water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 medium plums pits removed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into tiny pieces
- 1 egg lightly beaten (to use as a glaze)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar for sprinkling
Make Flaky Pastry
- In a food processor, pulse both flours, salt, and butter until butter is the size of peas.
- Add the ice water and vinegar all at once and pulse just until water is incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and gently gather into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a 1 inch thick disk. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a rough 12-14 inch circle.
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Scatter the sugar mixture all over the rolled out crust leaving 2 inches of the edge uncovered.
- Arrange sliced plums on top of sugar mixture. Scatter tiny butter pieces all over the plums.
- Using a pastry brush, brush border of crust with beaten egg.
- Fold the edges of the tart up over the plums creating a 1½-2 inch border, pressing down gently. Transfer the tart to a large pizza pan covered with parchment paper.
- Brush the edges of the tart with the beaten egg and sprinkle the entire tart, including the border, with the remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Bake the tart for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and the plums are softened.
- Serve the tart warm, cut into slices and topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes 8 Servings