Strawberry Lemon Curd Tart
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- Filling and Topping
- 2 recipes of Chef Gail Sokol’s Lemon Curd with Yolks
- 2 quarts strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 recipe Chef Gail Sokol’s Stabilized Whipped Cream for piping, if desired
- 1 lemon, zested and cut into tiny slices, if desired for decorating
- In a food processor, pulse flour and sugar until blended.
- Add cold butter cubes, and pulse about 8 times, until mixture looks like oatmeal.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and yolk, and add to flour mixture. Pulse until soft crumbs form.
- Pour mixture into a medium bowl and gather together to form a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatter to a 1 inch thick disc. Chill in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle a work surface lightly with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to an approximately 9 by 12 inch rectangle, approximately 1/8 inch thick. Brush off extra flour, if any, with a pastry brush. Gently fit dough into pan, cutting and patching where necessary so dough fits evenly on the bottom and up the sides. Pinch off excess dough if any falls over the sides of the pan. Using a fork, prick the bottom and sides of the dough. Place a piece of parchment paper into the pan so that it fits across the bottom and overlaps the sides. Fill with pie weights or raw beans so that the pan is filled. Bake on the sheet pan for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and gently gather up the sides of the parchment paper to remove the beans.
- Place the tart shell back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until bottom is cooked through. Remove from oven. Crust should not be too brown. Allow to cool.
- Fill the cooled crust with lemon curd by spreading it evenly over the bottom using an offset spatula. Arrange sliced strawberries over the top of the tart in a decorative manner. Pipe stabilized whipped cream as desired over the top of the tart, also decorating with lemon zest and slices, if using.
- Chill for about 1-2 hours. Unmold onto a serving platter when ready to serve.
Makes 1 8-by-11 inch rectangular tart