Summer Squash Galette
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted, cold butter cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup ice water, plus more if needed
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise into very thin slices
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced crosswise into very thin slices
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- Coarse ground black pepper and Kosher salt for sprinkling
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten to be used as an egg wash
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, thinly sliced
- Zest from 1 lemon
- In a food processor, pulse the flour and salt until well blended. Add butter cubes and pulse until pea-sized pieces form.
- Add apple cider vinegar and ¼ cup ice water, pulsing until wet crumbs form. Feel mixture with your hands and if it feels too dry, add up to 2 more tablespoons ice water. Pulse until wet crumbs form.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and gather together into a ball. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap, flattening into a 1 inch thick disc. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, combined squash slices, 1 teaspoon salt, and garlic and blend together gently with a spoon.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes until moisture is released from the squash. If very wet, place slices onto a paper towel-lined sheet pan.
- Roll out dough to a rough 14-inch circle, approximately 1/8 -inch thick. Place on a parchment lined pizza pan.
- Scatter the cheese over the top of the dough, leaving a 1 ½ inch border all around.
- Arrange squash slices decoratively over the cheese. Sprinkle pepper and salt if desired over the top.
- Using a pastry brush, egg wash border of pastry. Bring edges of dough up over filling, creating a 1 ½ in border all around. Egg wash pastry border.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until crust is nice and brown.
- Remove from the oven and scatter chives and zest over the top. Serve at once.
Makes 1 14-inch freeform tart