Burnt Sugar Rum Sauce
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water divided
- 3 tablespoons rum
- In a heavy medium saucepan, add the sugar and ¼ cup water. Stir to blend.
- Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil without any stirring, washing down any crystals that form on the side of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Boil until sugar syrup turns the color of brewed tea.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the remaining ¼ cup of water and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add rum and whisk to blend. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Makes approximately ¾ cup sauce