Dutch Baby with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ whole milk room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- 2 ¾ cups rhubarb cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups strawberries cut into ½ inch pieces
Making the Dutch Baby
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the butter into a 10 inch diameter cast iron and place the pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Melt the remaining butter and set aside.
- In a blender, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt to combine. Add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Process on high speed until batter is smooth and bubbly, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven and pour the batter into the center of the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes without opening the oven to peek.
- Dust the hot Dutch Baby with powdered sugar and cut into wedges. Serve with compote.
Making the Compote
- In a medium saucepan combine the rhubarb, sugar, orange, and lemon juices. Cook over medium high heat for about 3 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.
- Add the strawberries and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes or until the strawberries have become tender.
- Raise the heat and continue cooking for a minute or so until the mixture has reduced a bit.
- The compote can be served warm or cold.