Onion Fig Jam
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups or 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced leeks, dark green part removed
- 2 cups chopped black mission figs
- ¼-1/3 cup water, if needed if mixture becomes too dry
- ¼ cup high quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and leeks, and saute for 10-20 minutes or until mixture begins to get soft and caramelized, reducing heat if needed.
- Add figs, and cook until figs become quite soft; about 10-15 more minutes.
- Add water if mixture is too dry.
- Turn heat to low, and add vinegar and sugar, cooking until liquid has evaporated.
- Cool and keep covered in refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Makes approximately 3 cups