Black Forest Eton Mess
- Chocolate Meringue Sticks
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Additional recipes and items needed
- 1 recipe Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 recipe Boozy Cherry Sauce
- Chocolate shards to decorate, if desired
- Ganache or chocolate sauce, if desired
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and confectioner’s sugar.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the whip attachment, on medium-high speed, beat the 4 egg whites until barely forming soft peaks.
- Slowly add the granulated sugar and increase the speed of the mixer to high. Beat until mixture forms stiff peaks – about 1 minute.
- Transfer the meringue to a very large bowl. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the cocoa mixture in two stages, making sure the sugar and cocoa are incorporated.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a large ½ inch plain tip, pipe long strips of meringue onto the prepared sheet pans, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for approximately 13 minutes, or until the meringue feels firm to the touch.
- When cool, break or cut the meringue strips into approximately 3-4 inch long lengths.
- To assemble a large Eton Mess, arrange 1/3 of meringue sticks onto a large decorative platter. Dollop with some of the chocolate whipped cream, followed by Boozy Cherry Sauce and ganache.
- Continue layering meringue sticks with the various toppings, ending with the remaining cherry sauce and ganache.
- Scatter with chocolate shards if desired, followed by a dusting of confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve immediately but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 hours.
Feeds 4-6 people