French Chocolate Mousse
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup superfine sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate melted with ¼ cup brewed coffee over a double boiler, and allowed to cool
- 3 egg yolks
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the whip attachment, beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Scrape into a small bowl and set aside.
- Wash the whip and electric mixing bowl and dry thoroughly. Beat the three egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Scrape into a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the whip attachment, beat the softened butter and melted chocolate and coffee mixture. Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Scrape the chocolate and butter mixture into a large mixing bowl. Using a whisk, whisk the beaten egg whites into the chocolate. This will lighten the mixture.
- Fold in the whipped cream using a rubber spatula.
- Divide the mousse into 6-8 wine glasses and chill for several hours.
Serves 6-8 people