- 6 large garlic cloves skins left on, and halved lengthwise
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons instant or fast rising yeast
- 6 cups all-purpose flour plus more, if necessary
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups warm water 110°F.
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion
- ½ teaspoon dehydrated minced garlic
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper if desired for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 300°F. In an ovenproof metal pan with sides, combine the garlic cloves and olive oil and place on a sheet pan. Bake in the oven for one hour. Allow to cool for 30 minutes and then pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and throw out the garlic. Set the oil aside.
- In the bowl of electric mixer using the paddle attachment, blend together the yeast, 3 cups of the flour and the salt.
- Measure out 1/3 cup of garlic oil and pour into the yeast mixture. Add the water and blend on medium speed. Remove the paddle and change to the dough hook. Continue adding the remaining flour until a nice, soft dough forms.
- Pour the dough onto a dry work surface and knead it for about 1 minute. Place the dough into a large mixing bowl sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Flip the dough over so the greased side is up. Allow to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Pour about 1 teaspoon of the garlic oil into a half sheet pan and spread the oil all over the bottom and sides.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan, cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise for 30 minutes, or until doubled in volume.
- With your index finger make rows of indentations, 1 inch apart, all over the dough. With a spoon, drizzle the dough with the remaining garlic oil.
- In a small bowl combine the rosemary, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion and garlic. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the focaccia.
- Sprinkle Kosher salt and black pepper, if using, lightly over the top as well.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the focaccia is deep golden brown on top. Allow to cool until warm.
Makes a 17 inch by 11 inch focaccia