Reuben Sandwich Braid
Makes 1 15-inch long braid
- 2 ¼ cups warm water 110°F
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 4 cups bread flour, plus ½ cup or more if dough is too wet
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- ½ pound thinly sliced corned beef
- ¼ pound sliced Swiss cheese
- ½ pound sauerkraut — well-drained, squeeze out excess liquid
- 1 large egg white — beaten
- caraway seeds, optional, for sprinkling
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the warm water and the oil.
- In another bowl, whisk together 4 cups of the bread flour, the rye flour, and the yeast. With the paddle attachment on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the liquids in the bowl and blend well. Clean off the paddle and change to the dough hook. Add up to ½ cup of the remaining bread flour until a soft dough forms. Stop the machine and cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Uncover the bowl and on medium speed add the salt and mix until well combined. This will take approximately 1 minute.
- Place the dough onto a floured work surface and knead it to develop the gluten for a few minutes until the dough feels smooth and elastic. The dough should not feel too sticky.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray and place the dough in the bowl. Flip the dough over so the greased side is up. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Turn a 12 inch by 18 inch sheet pan upside down and spray the bottom with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough on the baking sheet and roll it into a rectangle 15 inches by 10 inches long. Alternatively, the dough can be rolled out onto a floured work surface and, after it is shaped, it can then be transferred to a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Mix the mayonnaise, the chili sauce, and pickle relish together in a small bowl. Spread the mixture down the center of the dough, lengthwise, leaving 3 inches of dough uncovered on either side. Top with layers of corned beef, cheese, and sauerkraut.
- Cut the uncovered dough along the sides of the filling into 3-inch long strips, using a small knife, pizza wheel, or scissors. This will resemble fringe. Starting at one end and alternating sides, fold the strips in at an angle across the filling to look like they are being braided. Using a pastry brush, brush the finished braid with the beaten egg white. Sprinkle with caraway seeds if using.
- Bake the bread at 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until nicely browned on the top and the sides. Cool for 5 minutes, cut into slices, and serve warm or at room temperature.