The Best Pizza Dough Ever
Makes 2 14-inch pizzas or 8 6-inch-diameter individual pizzas
- 5 ½ cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons instant active or fast-rising yeast
- ¼ cup plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and yeast.
- Add the oil and water to the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon until a dough begins to form.
- Pour mixture onto a work surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until a soft, slightly sticky, elastic dough forms.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough into the bowl and flip it over so the greased side is up. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in a warm location, such as an unlit oven or closet. Allow the dough to rise for approximately 1 hour. It should double in size.
- If using, place a pizza stone on the bottom-most rack of your oven. Preheat the oven to 500-550 degrees Fahrenheit – as hot as your oven will go. It will take about 1 hour to heat the pizza stone.
- After the dough has doubled, divide into 2 equal pieces or 8 equal pieces for individual pizzas.
- If you are making large pizzas, push one piece of the dough onto an oiled, 14 inch pizza pan. Evenly press on the dough to cover the entire pan. Cover with desired toppings.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until crust is nice and brown. Serve at once.