Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar for rolling
- Confectioners’ sugar for rolling
- Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Be sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Melt butter and chocolate completely, and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder until well blended.
- In another large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add melted chocolate and butter to egg mixture and whisk well.
- Using a rubber spatula, incorporate the dry ingredients into the chocolate and egg mixture and blend well.
- Transfer dough to a smaller bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until well chilled and dough is firm – approximately 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill a small, wide bowl with granulated sugar, and another one with confectioners’ sugar.
- Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or a ¼ cup solid measuring cup, scoop dough and roll into smooth balls with your hands. Place each ball first in the granulated sugar bowl, rolling to coat. Next, roll the coated balls into the confectioners’ sugar.
- Transfer the balls to 2 sheet pans covered in parchment paper, leaving 2 inches between balls.
- Bake cookies for approximately 14-16 minutes or until crackly and almost firm. Cool completely.
Makes approximately 2½ dozen