Coconut Dulce de Leche Sandwich Cookies
- 3 1/3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup Chef Gail’s Easy Oven Dulce de Leche
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
Make the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit.
- Cover sheet pan with a silpat. If the silpat is too long to go into the sheet pan, flip the sheet pan over and place the silpat on top.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix coconut and sugar together on low speed until well combined.
- Add the butter and blend well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time blending each into the coconut sugar mixture before adding the next.
- Using a teaspoon and small offset spatula, place spoonfuls of batter on the silpat mat spreading each spoonful into a 2-3 inch circle. Leave at least 2 inches between cookies, as cookies will spread.
- Bake cookies for 10-14 minutes, rotating every few minutes or until cookies are nice and bBrown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 minute.
- Using an offset spatula, gently remove the cookie and place it, bottom side up, on a clean wax paper lined sheet pan.
- Repeat spreading and baking off cookies until batter is used up.
Make the Filling
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, combine the unsalted butter and the Dulce de Leche until well blended.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until a light frosting forms.
Assemble the Cookies
- Place approximately 1 tablespoon of the buttercream on the bottoms of half the cookies. Cover the filling with the remaining cookies so that the bottoms of each cookie face the buttercream, creating a sandwich.
- Store between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container.
Makes approximately 15-20 sandwich cookies