Giant Strawberry Lemon Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 ½ cups fresh strawberries, stemmed, hulled, and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour for coating strawberries
- Additional granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 2 large muffin pans or 2 standard sized muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light in color, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, blending well before adding the next. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Measure milk in a liquid measuring cup and add both extracts and zest; blend with a fork.
- On low speed, add ½ the flour mixture to the electric mixing bowl. Blend well. Add the milk mixture, and blend on low speed, followed by the remaining flour mixture. Do not over mix.
- Add the 1 teaspoon flour to a bowl with the strawberries and combine to coat the berries. Fold the berries into the batter.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each of the desired muffin tins ¾ full of batter. Sprinkle each muffin with sugar.
- Bake standard muffins for approximately 25-30 minutes and large muffins for approximately 30 minutes, or until brown and a small sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and remove from muffin tins.
Makes approximately 8 large muffins or 12-14 standard sized muffins