Citrus Chiffon Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour sifted
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 5 large egg yolks room temperature
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons each of orange lemon, and lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 8 large egg whites room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, blend the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt on low speed.
- On low speed, blend in the oil, egg yolks, the three types of juice, all the zest, and the lemon extract into the dry ingredients until well blended. Pour the batter into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the egg whites into the clean, dry bowl of an electric mixer and, using the whip attachment, beat them on medium speed until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and beat on medium-high until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the sugar and beat the meringue until stiff peaks form.
- Using a whisk, gently mix 1/4 of the meringue into the reserved batter to lighten it.
- Place remaining meringue on top of the lightened batter and using a rubber spatula, fold them in gently and quickly.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased false bottom 10-inch tube pan with metal tabs. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Turn the cake upside down, so that it rests on the three metal tabs of the pan. Cool completely.
- Using a long, sharp knife cut around the center and all around the perimeter of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Remove the cake from the pan. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Makes 1 10-inch tube cake