Sized “Just Right” Chocolate Cake
- 5 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup minus two tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- ½ cup plus two tablespoons cold coffee
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until lighter in color and butter has turned pale yellow.
- On low speed, add egg and vanilla extract, and blend until well combined. Add the melted chocolate and blend well, stopping the mixer and scaping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add half the dry ingredients to the mixer on low speed until blended.
- Add half the coffee, and blend well.
- Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining coffee. Blend just until mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a small, sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool and frost or dust with powdered sugar, as desired.
Makes a 9 inch square cake