Boozy Chocolate Pecan Pie
Flaky Pie Crust
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces cold cream cheese cut into small cubes
- ½ cup 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange juice
- About 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup Kahlúa
- ¼ cup cornstarch
Flaky Pie Crust
- In a food processor, pulse flour, salt and cream cheese until small pea-sized pieces form.
- Add butter and pulse until the butter breaks down into pea-sized pieces. Do not overmix.
- Add orange juice and 2 tablespoons ice water and pulse until the mixture almost gathers into a ball. If mixture is too dry, add remaining tablespoon of ice water.
- Pour out into a bowl. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and flatten into a 1-inch thick disk. Chill for one hour.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface and into a 12-inch diameter circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Cut away any excess dough. Crimp edges decoratively and place pan on a foil lined sheet pan.
Filling and Assembly
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Scatter pecan halves and chocolate over the bottom of the crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together remaining filling ingredients and pour over nuts and chocolate. Be sure nuts are coated in the filling.
- Bake the pie on the foil lined sheet pan for 45 minutes or until the center barely jiggles. Filling will firm up as it cools.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes 1 9-inch diameter pie