Makes 8 Servings
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon ice water
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3-4 medium crisp apples such as Gala or Granny Smith peeled, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
¼ cup granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter cut into tiny pieces
1 egg, lightly beaten (to use as a glaze)
¼ cup granulated sugar for sprinkling
Make Flaky Pastry
- In a food processor, pulse both flours, salt, and butter until butter is the size of peas.
- Add the ice water and vinegar all at once and pulse just until water is incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and gently gather into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a 1 inch thick disk. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a rough 12-14 inch circle.
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, flour, and walnuts.
- Scatter the sugar and nut mixture all over the rolled out crust leaving 2 inches of the edge uncovered.
- Arrange sliced apples on top of nut mixture. Scatter tiny butter pieces all over the apples.
- Using a pastry brush, brush border of crust with beaten egg.
- Fold the edges of the tart up over the apples creating a 1½-2 inch border, pressing down gently. Transfer the tart to a large pizza pan covered with parchment paper.
- Brush the edges of the tart with the beaten egg and sprinkle the entire tart, including the border, with the remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Bake the tart for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and the apples are softened.
- Serve the tart warm, cut into slices and topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Tips for Success
- Be sure butter and water are very cold to ensure the flakiest crust.
- Do not overmix flaky pastry or excess gluten will develop making a less than tender crust.
- Once flaky pastry is wrapped in plastic wrap, it can be chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Although the Apple-Walnut Tart is best eaten the same day it is made, it can be re-heated in a 325° F oven for 10 minutes or until it is warm to the touch.