Flaky Pie Crust
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces cold cream cheese cut into small cubes
- ½ cup 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange juice
- About 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 15 ounce can 100% pure pumpkin
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
Flaky Pie Crust
- In a food processor, pulse flour, salt and cream cheese until small pea-sized pieces form.
- Add butter and pulse until the butter breaks down into pea-sized pieces. Do not overmix.
- Add orange juice and 2 tablespoons ice water and pulse until the mixture almost gathers into a ball. If mixture is too dry, add remaining tablespoon of ice water.
- Pour out into a bowl. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and flatten into a 1-inch disk. Chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface and into a 12-inch diameter circle. The dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Crimp edges decoratively and place pan on a foil lined sheet pan.
- Prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork. Line the crust with a piece of parchment paper and fill with raw beans to be used as pie weights. Bake about 15-20 minutes or until crust is lightly brown on edges.
- Remove from the oven and remove beans and parchment.
- Using a pastry brush, brush egg white all over crust to form a barrier to keep the bottom crust from getting soggy.
- Return to oven for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Pumpkin Filling and Assembly
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk all filling ingredients until well blended.
- Pour into crust. Bake pie on foil lined sheet pan for 40-50 minutes or until center of pie is only slightly jiggly. Filling will firm up as it cools.
- Cool thoroughly. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Makes 1 10-inch pie