Stabilized Whipped Cream
- 3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar sifted if lumpy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small heatproof bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Stir and set aside.
- Heat 1 inch of water to a simmer in a saucepan or skillet big enough for the bowl of gelatin to fit inside. Place bowl of gelatin into hot water bath just long enough to melt down the gelatin. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the heavy cream just to cool down the gelatin.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the whip attachment, beat the remaining heavy cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, the melted gelatin, and the vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form.