Makes 12 buns/rolls
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 ¾ teaspoons instant active (also known as fast-rising) yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups milk, warmed to approximately 110-115 degrees Fahrenheit
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water if dough is too dry
- Black and white sesame seeds for sprinkling, if desired
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, stir together both flours, salt, sugar, and yeast on low speed to combine.
- Add the egg, milk, and butter, and mix on medium speed until a rough dough forms.
- Change to the hook attachment and continue mixing or pour mixture onto a work surface and gather together into a rough ball.
- Knead dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, adding more water if it feels too dry.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough into the bowl, flipping the dough so the greased side is facing up. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area for approximately 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size.
- Transfer dough to a work surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Cover sheet pan with a piece of plastic wrap that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Allow to rise in a warm area for approximately 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray each roll with a spray bottle filled with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until nice and brown.