The One Stage Method of cake making is discussed. Learn how to make the fudgiest of all chocolate cakes using this simplest of mixing methods. Chef Sokol will show you how to recognize this method just by reading the recipe. An easy and delicious recipe is discussed in detail.
Fudgy Chocolate Cake
Makes 2 9-inch round layers
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2 whole large eggs
1 cup buttermilk — well shaken
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease, parchment, and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix at low speed until blended.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Slowly add the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients on low speed until just blended. Stop the machine and scrape around the bowl with a rubber spatula. Scrape the bottom and around the sides of the bowl to make sure that all the ingredients are blended thoroughly and there are no lumps.
- Mix the coffee powder into the boiling water and pour it into the batter. Blend well on low speed for 10 to 20 seconds.
- The batter will be thin. Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester placed into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool until lukewarm and remove the two round layers from the pans onto wire racks to cool completely.