Bourbon Applesauce Date Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Ingredients for cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup date syrup
- ½ cup pitted chopped dates mixed with 2 tablespoons high-quality bourbon
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Ingredients for frosting
- ½ cup about 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon high-quality bourbon
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream cold
- 1-2 tablespoons date syrup for drizzling
- Making the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray, cover the bottom with a parchment circle, spray again, and flour, removing the excess.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together first 7 ingredients until well-blended, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the sugar and butter together for 1-2 minutes.
- On low speed, add the egg and vanilla extract, and blend well. Add the applesauce and date syrup, and blend until well combined.
- Again on low speed, add the dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in dates, bourbon, and pecans.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 38-40 minutes or until a small, sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and remove from pan.
- Making the frosting and assembly
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the whip attachment, beat the cream cheese until light, about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, and bourbon, and blend well.
- On low speed, slowly add the heavy cream. Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture has formed stiff peaks.
- Place the cooled cake on a serving platter. Spread frosting over the top of the cake decoratively.
- Using a small spoon, drizzle date syrup over frosting.
Makes 1 9-inch cake