- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Stir sugar, corn syrup, and water in a small heavy saucepan over high heat. Set spoon aside.
- Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down any sugar crystals from the sides of the pan.
- Heat mixture to a rolling boil without stirring until a candy thermometer reaches approximately 242 degrees Fahrenheit.
- As sugar syrup is boiling, beat egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer using the whip attachment at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly pour hot syrup into the bowl of whites, beating the egg whites constantly.
- Beat on high speed for approximately two minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Use immediately or store, covered in refrigerator.
Makes enough to fill 2 9-inch cake layers