- Flaky Pie Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup or 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup at least ice water
- Apple Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pounds or 6 cups thinly sliced peeled, and pared Granny Smith apples or your favorite type
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon water to be used as an egg wash
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
First: Prepare the Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Place the cold butter into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender or a knife and fork, cut the fat into the flour and salt until the dough forms pea-sized pieces. Put the pastry blender down.
- Sprinkle in the ice water and gently combine the ingredients with a spoon until a ball of dough forms. Add more water if the dough is too dry. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and flatten into a 1-inch thick disk. Chill the dough for at least one hour.
- Using a dough cutter, cut the dough in half. You should have 2 pieces of dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, flour a rolling pan and put a 9 inch pie pan next to you. Roll out one piece of dough into a circle at least 10 inches in diameter. Carefully fit the circle of dough into the pie pan.
Second: Prepare the Filling
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. In a large mixing bowl place the sliced apples and add the sugar and spice mixture. Blend together until all the apples are coated.
- Pour apple filling into the bottom crust. Lightly press down on the filling to compact the apples.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the remaining piece of dough into another circle about 10-11 inches in diameter.
- Using a knife, cut out some air vents in the center of the dough for steam to escape.
- Carefully place the top crust over the filling. Cut off any excess dough. Crimp the edges all around and fold under to seal the crusts together.
- Using a pastry brush, egg wash the entire top of the pie and sprinkle generously with granulated sugar.
- Place the pie on a large sheet pan and bake it for 40-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling through the cuts on the top crust.
- Serve warm.
Makes one 9-inch pie