Learn how to create a yeast dough from just five simple ingredients. Chef Sokol will walk you through all the steps to create one of the simplest of yeast breads. Learn how to properly store your bread so you can savor every morsel.
Simple Yeast Bread
Makes one loaf
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant dry yeast
3 cups (14 ounces) bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons (¼ ounce) kosher salt
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- In a large bowl, combine the first three ingredients and blend well.
- Add the water and mix with a spoon. If the mixture is too dry, add a little more water.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it until it forms a smooth ball.
- Spray a medium bowl with nonstick cooking spray and place the ball of dough in it. Flip it over so the greased side is facing up.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise for one hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Deflate the dough and shape it into a round loaf.
- Place the loaf onto a sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm spot for about one hour. It may not double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- With a water bottle, spray the dough a few times to mist it with water.
- Using a knife or razor, cut a few decorative slits into the surface of the dough.
- Bake the loaf for about 15 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and feels firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool.